Family Law

Application for Divorce 

If you have separated with your partner for at least 12 months and one day and you consider there is no reasonable likelihood of resuming married life,  you may file an application for divorce with the Family Court.  The filing fees are available available on the Family Court Website  fees page

If you have been married less than two years you will need to file  a counselling certificate.

How to apply?

You may apply online for a sole or a joint application at Application for Divorce.

When a Divorce is granted?

When the divorce application is heard and granted, it will be finalised in one month and one day unless a special order is made by the Court to shorten the time.  Divorce order is available to be downloaded from the Commonwealth Courts Portal.

What is a parenting order?

A parenting order may be obtained on the basis of agreement between the parties or after a court hearing or trial.  A parenting order may deal with the following:

  • who live with the child/children
  • arrangement of time spending with each parent, grandparents or any other people
  • allocation of parental responsibility
  • communication arrangement with a parent not living with the child/children
  • any other arrangement of care, welfare or development of the child/children